Without Title 42, Biden will catch and release all migrants caught at the Border into the United States.
- Biden’s announcement to revoke Title 42 as of May 23 serves as a save-the-date welcoming party for human traffickers, drug cartels, and any foreign citizen who wants to cross our southern border without consequence.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers estimate that as many as 18,000 illegal aliens per day will enter the United States after Biden revokes Title 42. As of February 2022, over 5,000 migrants illegally crossed per day, already a record high. 18,000 illegal immigrants entering the country each day would completely overwhelm our law enforcement and local communities.
- This crisis has two causes: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. And it has one simple solution: keep Title 42 on the books.
- Even Senate Democrats have voiced concern over Biden’s decisions, calling it a “frightening decision” and noting that Biden “does not appear to be ready” for the chain-reaction immigration crisis that it is bound to cause.
- Biden’s hypocrisy remains on full display; while he advocates for lockdowns, masking, and more COVID funding, he promotes overwhelming our southern border with people, crime, and cartels.
What Is Title 42 and What Does It Do?
- Title 42 is a Center for Disease Control authority which mandates that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) expel most aliens who unlawfully enter the United States—based on grounds that the introduction of illegal foreign aliens to the United States will increase disease transmission.
- President Trump invoked the authority on March 20, 2020. It remains in place today and has served as a valuable tool to deter illegal border crossing and hinder the spread of COVID-19.
- From March 2020-January 2021, DHS sent 85 percent of all illegal border crossers back to Mexico under Title 42. The remaining 15 percent accounted for unaccompanied children and those who preemptively proclaimed a legitimate fear of political persecution and claimed political asylum.
- Over 1,000,000 illegal border crossers have been turned away under Title 42 since March 2020.
- From January 2021 to the present day, Biden’s DHS has allowed 45 percent of illegal border crossers to stay in our country—while COVID ravages our nation.
- During the final fiscal year of the Trump Administration, Border Patrol expelled 85% of the 458,000 people encountered.
Biden’s policies resulted in 500,000 illegal border crossers only four months into his presidency.
- Since Biden took office, Border Patrol agents have caught over 2.5 million people illegally entering the United States. At least 500,000 have evaded law enforcement and disappeared into our country.
- Because of Biden, human smugglers are richer than ever before. These smugglers take advantage of the most vulnerable and impoverished Central Americans attempting to get the U.S. border. The consequences for the people making the journey are disastrous and will get worse after Title 42 ends.
- The same cartels responsible for the 100,000 overdose deaths in the U.S. through drug smuggling are enriched by Biden’s policies—and earned over $1.7 billion last year from human smuggling of migrants to the United States.
- Between 60-80 percent of women, including children, are raped on the journey. Over 30 percent of kids experience sexual violence.
- Transnational cartels now control of large sections of the Mexican side of the border. The cartels force migrants to pay them thousands of dollars to simply pass by—to then enter the United States illegally. They kidnap and rape women, and organize human trafficking rings that span across the U.S.
- Biden knows this but leaves our border wide open. He allows the cartels to get rich and deepen corruption across Mexico and Central America while preying on vulnerable migrants.
- The Southern Border is a humanitarian disaster. Title 42 serves as a valuable tool to deter illegal immigrants, turn around those that do come, and starve the cartels that get rich trying to smuggle migrants into the United States. Congress should act to ensure we can export illegal immigrants with or without this authorization.
- President Biden does not care about securing the Southern Border, has put zero effort into building physical barriers on the border, and won’t let law enforcement do their jobs. Even democratic leaning publications hit him for failing to enforce current law.
- It will get worse before it gets better. Biden’s DHS admits that they will not be able to control the situation. The American public is not happy with Biden’s policy.
- In April 2022, over 2,000 voters across the country were asked if they support the Biden Administration’s planned removal of Title 42. A majority of registered voters (56% overall) oppose the plan, while 34% overall supported the plan.
- 88% of Republicans disapprove of Biden’s plan, including 78% “strongly”.
- 52% of Independents disapprove of Biden’s plan, including 37% strongly. Only 31% approved of his plan.
- 27% of Democrats disapprove of Biden’s plan, while 60% approved.
- 66% of American disapprove of Biden’s handling of immigration issues as of February 2022. Only 19% of Independents approve of Biden’s immigration policy.